Wednesday, April 26, 2006

everything from jury duty to dangerous apparel

It's been a busy morning. So far I've learned that:

1. You can still get summoned for jury duty even if you didn't register to vote. I kept meaning to get around to it, but until recently, I didn't pay enough attention to the news to know what was going on. Also, I didn't want to get summoned for jury duty.

2. "You have to exercise, and if all you can do is crawl, then crawl." I heard that from multiple sources when I got sick, so when the pollen killed my ability to ride about two weeks ago, I tried going anyway (and got a skinned elbow for my trouble) but was finally reduced to walking back and forth in my empty living room, which was kind of boring. Then I essentially sat down and watched tv for the next week. This morning I tried walking the living room again, and I feel soooo much better. Lesson learned.

3. A Swiss biotech company has developed a vaccine for dust allergies that "consists of a length of DNA designed to provoke a normal immune response, attached to the dustmite allergen. When injected, it suppresses the allergic response that leads to sneezing and streaming eyes." In the volunteer testers, it worked really well. They're working on other common allergens. I have no idea if this kind of thing would eventually be usable on chemically sensitive people's dust/pollen/mold sensitivities, but we can always hope.

4. We in Tucson are saving water and fixing our traffic problems. (Not so much, really. Two out of four water mains broke under a busy intersection.)

5. Pricepoint, a discount biking gear web retailer, is selling both 'Pearl Izumi Ankle Attack Socks' and 'Oakley Scatter Skull Hats'. This does not sound like a safe place to shop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home